For our first job on board: Software Engineer
With the creation of the ICT/IT course being offered by many educational institutions, most of them offer Electronics Communications Engineering, Computer Engineer, Software Engineering and a few more I could not mention. However, one of the most hard to fill jobs include the Software Engineer and these are what entails that job.
- Researching, designing, writing and testing new software programmes;
- Developing existing system by analyzing and identifying areas for modification;
- 'Bolting together' existing software products (getting incompatible platforms to work together and creating code to link them);
- Maintaining systems by monitoring, identifying and correcting software defects;
- Investigating new technologies;
- Creating technical specifications and test plans;
- Consulting clients, colleagues concerning the maintenance and performance of software systems and asking questions to obtain information, clarify details and implement solutions.
Education and Training
A bachelor's degree, usually in Computer Systems Engineering or Computer Science Software Engineering or Mathematics. Knowledge in Microsoft and Oracle Programs is an advantage for this job.
Skills and Competency Requirements
- Ability to create functional and technical design specifications for development efforts;
- Proficiency in programming skills, including familiarity with data types, syntax and control structures;
- Adept at debugging complex applications problems and ability to produce quality software documentation, including requirements specifications;
- Analytical skills;
- Problem solving skills and the ability to work in a team;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (especially the ability to understand client needs and communicate proposed solutions effectively).
Physical Attributes and Characteristics
- Enthusiasm and knowledge or project cycles;
- Attention to detail, even in pressured situations as deadlines approach;
- A logical mind;
- Numeracy aptitude.
P40,000.00 - 60,000 per month depending on the experience and the level of the knowledge in the business.
- May advance to become Project Manager or Information Systems or Chief Information Officer.
- Some Computer Software Engineers with several years of work experience or expertise find lucrative opportunities working as a systems designer or independent Consultants or starting their own computer consulting firms.
Employment of the Software Engineer is expected to increase much faster than the average for all occupations, as business and other organizations adopt and integrate new technologies and seek to maximize the efficiency of their computer systems.
Jobs On Board is a series of occupational briefs which aims to provide information on hard-to-fill and highly-in-demand occupations. It contains such information as the nature of the job, its education and competency requirements, earnings, employment and job outlook. This occupational brief is taken from the Occupational Brief No. 1, from the International Labor Organization (ILO) and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).